Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Research Fellow,
Visiting Researcher at Queen’s University Belfast, and
Affiliate Lecturer at the University of Malta
School of Mathematics and Physics, David Bates Building,
Queen’s University Belfast,
Belfast BT7 1NN,
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science
University of Malta,
Personal life: Outside my research career, I take an active role in science policy and science popularisation in Malta, and invite distinguished scientists (Nobel Laureate Prof William D Phillips in 2012, Prof Vlatko Vedral in 2014) to share their love of science with the general public. As of June 2014, I am happily married to a brilliant lawyer.
Affiliation: I am currently a Research Fellow of the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, as well as a visiting researcher working in the QTeQ group at Queen’s University Belfast and an affiliate lecturer in the Department of Physics at the University of Malta.
Previous affiliations: From February to October 2011, I was a research assistant in Klemens Hammerer’s group in Hannover. Officially, I was part of the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the Leibniz University, Hannover, and the QUEST (Centre for Quantum Engineering and Space-Time Research) excellence cluster in Hannover.
From September 2007 to March 2011 I was a doctoral student in Tim Freegarde’s Quantum Control group at the University of Southampton. My PhD thesis, “Optical Cooling Using the Dipole Force”, is available in book form, published by Springer Theses; see, e.g., Amazon.
- Research interests:
- Laser cooling
- Quantum optics
- Retarded atom–surface interactions
- Dissipative dipole forces
Curriculum vitae: Available here.
- Lorenzo Fusco, Simon Pigeon, Tony J. G. Apollaro, André Xuereb, Laura Mazzola, Michele Campisi, Alessandro Ferraro, Mauro Paternostro, and Gabriele De Chiara; Assessing the Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics in a Quenched Quantum Many-Body System via Single Projective Measurements; Phys. Rev. X 4, 031029 (2014); arXiv:1404.3150.
- André Xuereb, Claudiu Genes, Guido Pupillo, Mauro Paternostro, and Aurélien Dantan; Reconfigurable long-range phonon dynamics in optomechanical arrays; Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 133604 (2014); arXiv:1312.5303.
- André Xuereb, Hendrik Ulbricht, and Mauro Paternostro; Optomechanical interface for probing matter-wave coherence; Sci. Rep. 3, 3378 (2013); arXiv:1308.3576.
- André Xuereb, Claudiu Genes, and Aurélien Dantan; Collectively-enhanced optomechanical coupling in periodic arrays of scatterers; Phys. Rev. A 88, 053803 (2013); arXiv:1304.4574.
- Claudiu Genes, André Xuereb, Guido Pupillo, and Aurélien Dantan; Enhanced optomechanical readout using optical coalescence; Phys. Rev. A 88, 033855 (2013); arXiv:1304.1715.
- André Xuereb, and Mauro Paternostro; Selectable linear or quadratic coupling in an optomechanical system; Phys. Rev. A 87, 023830 (2013); arXiv:1212.0641.
- Tim Freegarde, James Bateman, André Xuereb, and Peter Horak; Mirror-mediated cooling: A paradigm for particle cooling via the retarded dipole force; Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules 1, 353 (2013); arXiv:0904.3059.
- André Xuereb, Claudiu Genes, and Aurélien Dantan; Strong coupling and long-range collective interactions in optomechanical arrays; Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 223601 (2012); arXiv:1202.6210.
- André Xuereb, and Peter Domokos; Dynamical scattering models in optomechanics: going beyond the ‘coupled cavities’ model; New J. Phys. 14, 095027 (2012); arXiv:1204.5301.
- André Xuereb, Koji Usami, Andreas Naesby, Eugene S. Polzik, and Klemens Hammerer; Exciton-mediated photothermal cooling in GaAs membranes; New J. Phys. 14, 085024 (2012); arXiv:1205.6726.
- André Xuereb, Marco Barbieri, and Mauro Paternostro; Multipartite optomechanical entanglement from competing nonlinearities; Phys. Rev. A 86, 013809 (2012); arXiv:1204.5870.
- André Xuereb, Roman Schnabel, and Klemens Hammerer; Dissipative Optomechanics in a Michelson–Sagnac Interferometer; Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 213604 (2011); arXiv:1107.4908.
- Peter Domokos, André Xuereb, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Efficient optomechanical cooling in one-dimensional interferometers; presented at Proc. SPIE 7951, 79510B (2011) (presented SPIE Photonics West 2011; invited contribution).
- André Xuereb, Peter Domokos, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Cavity cooling of atoms: Within and without a cavity; Eur. Phys. J. D 65, 273 (2011); arXiv:1101.2739.
- André Xuereb, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Amplified optomechanics in a unidirectional ring cavity; J. Mod. Opt. 58, 1342 (2011); arXiv:1101.0130.
- André Xuereb, Peter Domokos, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Scattering theory of multilevel atoms interacting with arbitrary radiation fields; Phys. Scr. T140, 014010 (2010); arXiv:0910.0802.
- Peter Horak, André Xuereb, and Tim Freegarde; Optical cooling of atoms in microtraps by time–delayed reflection; J. Comput. Theor. Nanosci. 7, 1747 (2010); arXiv:0911.4805.
- James Bateman, Richard Murray, Matthew Himsworth, Hamid Ohadi, André Xuereb, and Tim Freegarde; Hänsch–Couillaud locking of Mach–Zehnder interferometer for carrier removal from a phase-modulated optical spectrum; J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 27, 1530 (2010); arXiv:0911.1695.
- André Xuereb, Tim Freegarde, Peter Horak, and Peter Domokos; Optomechanical cooling with generalized interferometers; Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 013602 (2010); arXiv:1002.0463.
- James Bateman, André Xuereb, and Tim Freegarde; Stimulated Raman transitions via multiple atomic levels; Phys. Rev. A 81, 043808 (2010); arXiv:0908.2389.
- André Xuereb, Mathias Groth, Karl Krieger, Otto Asunta, Taina Kurki-Suonio, Jari Likonen, David P Coster, ASDEX Upgrade Team; DIVIMP-B2-EIRENE modelling of 13C migration and deposition in ASDEX Upgrade L-mode plasmas; J. Nucl. Mater. 396, 2–3, 228 (2010).
- Hamid Ohadi, Matthew Himsworth, André Xuereb, and Tim Freegarde; Magneto-optical trapping and background-free imaging for atoms near nanostructured surfaces; Opt. Express 17, 25, 23003 (2009); arXiv:0910.5003.
- André Xuereb, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Atom cooling using the dipole force of a single retroreflected laser beam; Phys. Rev. A 80, 013836 (2009); arXiv:0903.2945.
- André Xuereb, Peter Domokos, János Asbóth, Peter Horak, and Tim Freegarde; Scattering theory of heating and cooling in optomechanical systems; Phys. Rev. A 79, 053810 (2009); arXiv:0903.3132.
- André Xuereb; Optical Cooling Using the Dipole Force (Springer Theses); ISBN: 978-3-642-29714-4.